If your child has been arrested, your child will appear before a Judge within 24 hours to determine whether the Child shall be taken into custody (“secure detention”) or released. This hearing is known as a detention hearing. The detention hearing is mostly controlled by a Detention Risk Assessment Instrument (“DRAI”) prepared by the Department of Juvenile Justice. At the detention hearing, the State Attorney and a representative for the Department of Juvenile Justice are present. The Judge determines whether there is probable cause of a crime and reviews the DRAI to determine whether the child should be held in secure detention, released on home detention, or straight released. Straight release means the Child will be released without any court-imposed conditions. Supervised release is similar to home detention, where the Child will be confined to his or her home with certain exceptions. Secure Detention is custody at a local Juvenile Detention Center.

The State Attorney has 21-30 days to commence what is called an Adjudicatory Hearing. The Adjudicatory Hearing is similar to an adult trial. Juvenile cases are tried by a Judge and are non-jury trials. After a trial, the case could result in a ‘Not Guilty’ and the Child is released, or the trial can result in the child being ‘Adjudicated’. If your child is adjudicated at the Adjudicatory Hearing and is committed to a program, your child can be held in secure detention for an additional 15 days pending a disposition hearing. The Disposition hearing is similar to a plea/sentencing hearing. Alternatively, the Court may proceed with sentencing and withhold adjudication. If the Child is placed on juvenile probation, the probation officer will meet with the Child to develop a YES plan. The YES plan allows the probation officer to establish meaningful goals and actions through collaborative efforts with the youth and family.

Does your Child have a pending Juvenile proceeding? Does someone you know have a pending juvenile proceeding? Contact our office today and Attorney Brandon Gans will be able to assist you.

Firm Overview

Gans Law offers a variety of services that range from criminal defense to suspended licenses. Here at Gans Law, we understand that sometimes good people find themselves dealing with complex legal matters.

Learn More

Case Results

Our Reviews

Serving all of central Florida









Resisting Arrest With and Without Violence in Florida

Whenever you encounter law enforcement and they go to arrest you, it is never a good idea to resist them as you can get into more trouble. If you resist arrest with violence, you’ll face even higher penalties.   Resisting Without Violence According to Florida Statute...

Florida Traffic Tickets and Your Driving Record

When you get pulled over for a moving violation, you may wonder what is going to happen to your driving record. Is it something that prospective employers can see? If you decide to fight a traffic ticket, either by taking it to court yourself or hiring an attorney,...

Why is being on probation more dangerous than you think?

When facing potential jail time, most defendants prefer to be placed on probation instead of going to jail. Probation comes with many stipulations that many defendants fail to consider. Before accepting an offer of probation, consider the following:  Florida Statute...

Misdemeanors and Felony Charges in Florida

Felonies and Misdemeanors differ in both the severity of the crime and of the penalties. Misdemeanors tend to be less severe crimes, so the punishments for these crimes tend to be lesser. The fines are relatively small, and you can only be held in jail for up to a...

What is the Penalty for First-Time DUI in Florida?

Driving Under the Influence (DUI), often referred to as “drunk driving,” is when a driver of a motor vehicle has a blood alcohol content (BAC) over the legal limit, or their normal faculties are impaired by drugs or alcohol.  A DUI conviction in Florida comes with...

What is Disorderly Conduct?

In Florida, disorderly conduct is any behavior that disrupts a public space. Some common examples include making excessively loud noise, drunk and disorderly behavior, and fighting in the street. Florida Statute 877.03 defines disorderly conduct as acts that are of a...

Can You Lose Your License for Leaving the Scene of an Accident?

Under Florida law, it is a criminal offense for leaving the scene of an accident. Florida Statute 316.061 states that leaving the scene of an accident, also known as a “hit and run,” occurs when the driver of the vehicle involved in a crash resulting in damage to...

New Florida Law: Playing Loud or Excessive Music

On July 1, 2022, a Florida law went into effect that prohibits excessive music and other sounds from being played inside the vehicle. According to Florida Statute 316.3045, it is unlawful for any person operating or occupying a motor vehicle on a street or highway to...

What’s the Difference Between Assault & Battery in Florida?

Although assault and battery offenses in Florida are similar and are discussed together, they are two distinct criminal offenses. In Florida, the main difference between assault and battery is the absence or presence of physical contact. Assault is a verbal or...

What are Ignition Interlock Devices?

An ignition interlock device (IID) is a car breathalyzer that prevents drivers from starting their car until they blow into the device. In Florida, these are required for certain driving under the influence (DUI) convictions.  An ignition interlock device is a proper...

News & Posts



Orlando, FL

711 N. Orlando Ave. Suite 302B, Maitland, FL 32751

Hours: By Appointment Only

Clearwater, FL

8200 Bryan Dairy Road Suite 340
Largo, FL 33777

Hours: By Appointment Only


Send Us a Message!

More Contact Info

// // "UPixel" code from roger@printingwarehouses.com //