Criminal Mischief is defined by Florida Statute 806.13. It is the willful and malicious damaging of property of another. These cases often involve acts of graffiti, breaking windows, damaging vehicles or buildings, or any type of vandalism.
Criminal mischief is an enhanceable offense based upon the amount of property damage caused if there is a prior conviction for the same offense, or the property damaged is a place of worship. The penalties for this offense are enhanced as follows:
- If the damage to property is $200 or less, it is a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable by 60 days in jail, 6 months of probation, and/or a $500 fine.
- If the damage is greater than $200 but less than $1,000, it is a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable by 1 year in jail, 12 months or probation, and/or a $1,000 fine.
- If the damage is $1,000 or greater, there is a prior conviction of criminal mischief, or the damage is to a place of worship, it is a felony of the third degree, punishable by 5 years of prison, 5 years of probation, and/or a $5,000 fine.
In addition to jail, probation, and fines, the offender may be ordered to pay restitution to restore the damages. Any person convicted as a result of the placement of graffiti shall be required to perform at least 40 hours of community service and, if possible, perform at least 100 hours of community service that involves the removal of graffiti, according to Florida Statute 806.13(6)(b).
There are a number of defenses to criminal mischief, in addition to the trial defenses. Some of the most common defenses are:
- Pre-existing damages, thus the damages were not caused by the Defendant
- The alleged victim does not own the property damaged
- The damages caused were necessary in order to protect self or another person
- The damages were unintentional
Here at Gans Law, our attorneys have experience with criminal mischief cases in both the juvenile and adult courts. If you have been arrested or charged with the crime of Criminal Mischief, contact us today for a free consultation.
I would highly recommend Gans Law to any friends or family. As this was my first experience with a law firm, Brandon Gans was very helpful and informative on the steps I needed to take. He was professional, knowledgeable, and quick to respond to any questions or concerns, making the process much easier. I am pleased to say my case was successfully dismissed.