How to Get a Hardship License in Florida
In Florida, a hardship license is a license that lets you drive for an essential purpose, usually for business or work. A business purposes only (BPO) hardship license restricts your driving to necessary activities such as commuting to and from work, driving to school or for a job, and attending church or medical visits. A BPO license restricts your driving privileges to driving only for these activities.
Anyone who has had their license suspended for having too many points on their driver’s license is a Habitual Traffic Offender (HTO), or had their license restricted for another purpose, may need a hardship license to drive legally.
Florida Hardship License Requirements
To apply for a hardship license after your driver’s license has been suspended or revoked, you typically must:
- Enroll in a Florida 12 Hour ADI (Aggressive Driver Improvement) course. You must contact your local clerk or tax collector’s office to obtain a copy of your driving record for the past 30 days.
- You will also have to complete an application for a hardship license and bring it to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DMV), along with your driving record and proof of enrollment in the driver improvement course.
Costs for a Hardship License
In Florida, the current driver’s license reinstatement fee is $45 for any type of suspension and $75 for revocations. The ADI course usually runs around $63 and the hardship hearing filing fee is $12. Other related administrative fees must also be paid. These will depend on the moving violation.
Hardship License Eligibility
You are likely not eligible for a hardship license if you:
- Are arrested for two or more DUIs;
- Had a commercial driver’s license (CDL) and had it revoked;
- Are convicted of vehicular manslaughter; or
- Are charged with a DUI causing serious bodily injury.
Our goal at Gans Law is to help you get your driver’s license fully reinstated, without needing a hardship license. Navigating the Florida hardship license or reinstatement process can be lengthy and confusing. Call experienced Orlando Traffic Attorney Brandon Gans today to see how he can help.
MY DUI GOT DISMISSED!!!
Words cannot describe how grateful I am of Mr. Gans hard work and dedication to my case. Not only was Mr. Gans professional with me but he made me feel at home whenever I came to his office. Mr. Gans understood the difficulty and stress that I was enduring from my case. I went to multiple Attorneys with my case and not one cared much about my case. Their biggest concern was money and how was I going to pay them. Mr. Gans was only focused on my case and how he could help me. A true Lawyer. He reassured me multiple times that everything was going to be okay. He was right! I hope I never have to hire an Attorney again but if I do…. I will be going with Gans!