Vandalism Crimes in Florida
In Florida, if you are caught committing a crime of vandalism, depending on the severity, you can be charged with a misdemeanor or felony. You can face jail time, fines and the charges will go on your criminal record, causing issues for future employment opportunities.
Vandalism in Florida is referred to as Criminal Mischief, according to Florida State Statute 806.13. Vandalism is considered an enhanceable offense. If the damage is to a religious building and is over $200, it is a third-degree felony.
- If the damage amounts to $200 or less, the crime is charged as a second-degree misdemeanor.
- If the damage is greater than $200, but less than $1000, it is a first-degree misdemeanor.
- If the damage is over $1,000, it is a third-degree felony.
You may also have to pay restitution for the damaged property. Florida also charges additional fines for graffiti convictions. You can be charged an additional $250 for a first conviction, $500 for a second conviction, and $1000 for any convictions after that.
There are a number of defenses to vandalism at trial. Some of the most common defenses are:
- Pre-existing damages, thus the damages were not caused by the Defendant
- The alleged victim does not own the property damaged
- The damages caused were necessary in order to protect self or another person
- The damages were unintentional
Orlando Vandalism Lawyer
If you are charged with vandalism crimes in Central Florida, call experienced criminal defense Attorney Brandon Gans today for a free consultation. He can review your case and create the best possible defense for you.
My lawyer Mr. Gans from start-to-finish took my DUI case with immediate expertise communicating to me my exact position I was in, available rights and always kept me feeling confident to the decisions that were made which resulted in a complete dismissal judgement in my favor. Having worked alongside attorneys for over 10 years myself Mr. Gans expertise and results driven performance has definitely placed himself in a league of his own within his industry. I would highly recommend him to anyone who is in need of services he and his firm offer