Speeding in a Florida School Zone
To keep children safe, Florida has created strict laws in areas where they are going to and from school. School zone violations carry heavier penalties than normal speeding tickets.
Not only will you have higher fines to pay, but you’ll also be facing points, which can lead to high insurance premiums or your license being suspended.
Speeding in a school zone Penalties
No warnings are issued for school zones violations in Florida. Per Florida Statute 316.1895, penalties for speeding in a school zone are:
- 1 mph to 9 mph over the limit: $50
- 10 mph to 14 mph over the limit: $200
- 15 mph to 19 mph over the limit: $300
- 20 mph to 29 mph over the limit: $350
- 30 mph or more over the limit: $500
- 50 mph or more over the limit: $2,000 for a first-time offender
Each Florida county will have its own fee schedule. For example, in Orange County, the speeding in a school zone fines are as follows:
- 1 mph to 9 mph over the limit: $154
- 10 mph to 14 mph over the limit: $304
- 25 mph to 19 mph over the limit: $404
- 20 mph to 29 mph over the limit: $454
- 30 mph or more over the limit: Court mandatory
- 50 mph or more over the limit: Court mandatory
If you are caught going 30 mph to 39 mph over the speed limit a second time, the fine will be $1,000 and court is mandatory. The fine for exceeding the speed limit by more than 50 mph in a school zone a second time is $5,000 and court is mandatory.
A school zone speeding ticket can also result in points on your record.
- 1 MPH to 15 MPH over the limit: 3 points
- 16 MPH and above over the limit: 4 points
- Speeding resulting in an accident: 6 points
- Texting and driving in a school zone: 2 points
Orlando Traffic Lawyer
If you are pulled over for speeding in a school zone, contact experienced Orlando traffic attorney Brandon Gans. He can help keep the points off your record and keep you from potentially losing your license.
My lawyer Mr. Gans from start-to-finish took my DUI case with immediate expertise communicating to me my exact position I was in, available rights and always kept me feeling confident to the decisions that were made which resulted in a complete dismissal judgement in my favor. Having worked alongside attorneys for over 10 years myself Mr. Gans expertise and results driven performance has definitely placed himself in a league of his own within his industry. I would highly recommend him to anyone who is in need of services he and his firm offer